Saturday, December 9, 2006

Santa II



I had to do the Santa gig again today. I really wasn't in the mood to do this at all, it's been a really shitty two days. BUT, I didn't have a choice, so I did the best I could. Four hours of weaing that get up again... ugh, if I volunteer to do it again next year, someone please smack me upside the head!

Anyway, the kids did brighten up my day a little, and bring my thoughts to a better place. The babies were so adorable.. one was only three months old, another seven months old. Looking into their innocent little eyes, I saw a glipse of hope, and of love that I so badly needed to see.

A person with down syndrom wanted to have his picture taken with santa. He is 26 years old (older than me), and shopping with his Mom and Grandma. At first the Grandma didn't want him to "bother" me, but I motioned for him to come over. He was so excited. I couldn't understand a lot of what he was saying, but his mom would repeat everything he said. He was a big Sabres fan, so I asked him who his favorite players were, and things like that. There were no children around at the time, so I talked with him for a while while his mom shopped near by. He was so loving, and so very polite! He wanted books for christmas. I asked if he wanted his picture taken, and again, he got all excited. He went to sit on my lap, and his mom yelled out "No, you're too big to sit on his lap!" I assured her my lap is plenty-wide, and would have no problem holding him up. He posed for the picture, then gave me the biggest hug I've had in a while. The picture was free, and when we gave it to him, he was jumping up and down all excited. His Mom came over and thanked me, and the Grandma told me I made his Christmas!! My eyes teared up. What an awesome, and humbling experience. I was honored!

No comments: