Wednesday, June 11, 2008

Lord.. I'm havin' the vapors!

People always try to convince me there is no such thing as global warming. BULL SHIT! It's been pretty damn hot out, and seems to get worse with each passing year. I have noticed a significant change in climate for Western New York for the quarter of a century I have been alive.

With temps reaching well into the 80s and even 90s, I have been more than grateful for the central air we have in our home. The rest of the world around me has not been so comfortable and climate controlled.

The a/c on my car went on the fritz this summer. Seeing as it is an '02, it's not really a surprise that it needed to be recharged. I have been putting it off to try and save money, but after this weekend, enough was enough. Driving home from the parade on Sunday was like driving through the Sahara. Even with the windows down, all it does it blow hot air throughout the car. Fat white boy and heat do not mix. Besides, I hate being a puddle when I arrive at places after being in the car for more than five minutes.

I tried to take the cheap route, and bought a can of refrigerant (or whatever it's called), and had a friend from work put it in my car's system. Cost me $30. I thought I was saving some money... WRONG. I was only getting cold air out the one side of the car, and today, I didn't even have that. I finally broke down and took Virgil (my car) over to Midas for the "Midas touch". $140 later... all is well.

Walmart too has been a sweat shop to work in.. literally. Half the air conditioners in the store do not work, and customers are complaining as much as the employees. My department is by far the worst. Out air conditioner has been broken for about two years, and with the machines we have, the temp in the lab is a noticeable 10 degrees warmer than the rest of the store. Even with two large fans, workers just melt after being there for a few minutes.

Unfortunately, the company has no intention of fixing this problem any time soon. They claim our store will be going Super Center by next year, and "they" do not want to invest the money in a seasonal repair. Keep in mind, I have been hearing "we're going Super Center next year" for the past 7 years. It has yet to happen. As I stand there drenched in my own sweat, I can't help but be more than a little pessimistic about it becoming reality this year.

Who's up for ice cream?

No comments: