Friday, June 20, 2008

I am who I am.

I went for a walk with an old friend of mine this evening, whom I haven't really had the chance to hang out with in a long time. As we were talking, and comparing and contrasting likes and dislikes, it dawned on me that I really don't conform to most people's likes and dislikes who are around my age group. Generally I couldn't care less about what other people think of me, but I've noticed that some people really can judge you about stupid things like the kind of car you drive and the type of music you listen to.

As my friend and I were talking, and the topic of me driving a car "that looks like it belonged to my Grandma", I started to wonder how many people judge me just based on my material possessions. Is it a fair? How many potential friends have I lost? I know, I have lost potential boyfriends because of my taste.

My family always referred to me as an old soul, but I'm just me. I gravitate towards people and things that strike a chord in me. I don't know where the pull comes from or why, all I know is that I know happy and comfortable when I feel it.

I feel like I should make a list of all these oddities and simply hand it to new people I meet, such as potential boyfriends. I always try to go with the flow of the people I'm with, but often times respecting a persons individuality is not a two way street.

The ME List:

1. I'm hard core Catholic. My faith has always meant a lot to me, and I take it seriously. I don't push it on people, and I don't expect you to follow my belief system. I do however go to Mass every Sunday morning and pray and meditate in private. You follow whatever beliefs or non-beliefs you want, but leave mine alone... my spirituality need not involve you. The priest and the altar boy jokes are definitely not welcomed. Ever.

2. I'm dry and sarcastic. I generally say what is on my mind, though I make a conscious effort not to be too offensive. I'm not going to always sugar coat life. If you're getting on my nerves, or if I'm in a bad mood.. believe me, you'll know it. When I'm in a good mood, you'll know it. When I'm quiet, leave me alone.

3. I don't like to drink. Booze and I don't mix well.. I don't even like the taste. Yes, I love wine, but my idea of a good time has nothing to do with going out and getting wasted. Wine is great, and I love to drink it with friends, but going to "the club" isn't among my top 10 list of things to do. I'd rather sit and chat in a coffee house than sit in a bar.

4. I hate sports. If you like them.. enjoy them! That's what they are there for. Watch them, play them, knock yourself out. It's a great thing to follow if you like it. I personally don't, so please don't expect me to sit there and watch a game with you and get all excited about it. It's not going to happen.

5. I like big cars. I drive a Buick. If I'm the one making the car payments, and I'm the one spending the most time in it, then I'm getting what I want. I'm not a speed demon, I have no desire to race, or have my car look "hot". I like comfortable cars with leather seats, wood trim interior, a smooth ride, and the power when I put my foot down on the gas. I like a car that has some style, like the cars of the 30's and 40's. I like the touring car, not the race car. Your car/truck/SUV is wonderful... but I don't want it... please don't try to convince me that I do.

6. Hats are a good thing. People, especially men, look great in them. Baseball caps however are not the only style hat in the world. Baseball caps might look great on you, and I probably would agree they look good on me, but I'm not wearing one often. I'm not a walking advertisement for a brand name or a sports team. I don't like sports so I'm not going to wear a cap that evolved from the sport it gets its name from. Newsboy caps and fedoras work just fine for me. I didn't start wearing them because Justin Timberlake did, I wear them because I like them, and always have.

7. I don't care about clothing brands as long as the clothes look good, good quality and are affordable. I don't need designer jeans or show off the brand across my chest for the world to see. I prefer to dress up more, not dress down. I'd wear a shirt and tie everyday if appropriate, though I am most often found in jeans and a button down shirt. Preppy is fine with me.

8. I like the "finer" things in life, not that I MUST have them. I appreciate them however, and enjoy them when I can. I'd be just as comfortable at a black tie event as I would be at a cook out.

9. If there was one genre of music I had to chose as my favorite, it would be Big Band. I like music that has a beat, I could dance to (if I danced), has a fun rhythm, and makes you think about the happier side of life. I can appreciate most all music, and listen to many forms, though they would mostly fall under the category of "easy listening" and "pop".

No comments: