Thursday, December 31, 2009

Review of 2009

On New Year's Eve, I enjoy making a small list of the positives and negatives of the outgoing year. It makes for a nice reflection on the year which is about to leave us, and gives one something to ponder when anticipating the new year. I often remind myself that even though the negative events of the year may have brought some amount of pain, emotional and or physical, they give the opportunity for personal growth.

Negatives of 2009
  • Aunt Karen dies at the age of 53 from Multiple Symptom Atrophy
  • Flat tire on Niagara Falls Blvd.
  • Multiple Car repairs (general maintenance, but still costly)
  • One of my Fall courses was anything but enjoyable.
  • The death of an old friend of the family.
  • The summer course from HELL.
  • I couldn't even get ONE interview for a teaching position.
  • Anne breaking her pelvis and having to stay in the nursing home.
  • Another holiday season at Walmart (shudder)
  • The death of Mrs. Piskor
  • Dad struggling with his insurance to get his full comp money from disability (which is still going on)
  • My weight gain.
Positives of 2009
  • The birth of my nephew Collin
  • Getting a job as a substitute teacher in two districts to add to my teaching experience for my resume.
  • My Dad getting a good report from the heart doctor.
  • Getting to share another year with my best friend Anne.
  • Surviving another Walmart holiday thanks to some great friends/co-workers
  • The numerous happy hour visits to Q with Bob.
  • With the exception of some nagging colds (which is standard for me), I have been in good health, and have avoided the swine flu... even though there have been cases in the schools I was teaching in. Deo Gratias!
I am thankful for the graces I have received in this past year, and even during the rough times, I am thankful for the family and friends who helped get me through them. I look forward to 2010 and all the possibilities it holds!

No comments: