Monday, May 12, 2008

I Survived!

I have successfully completed my student teaching, and what I have been referring to as "teacher boot camp" is now at an end.

Wednesday of last week was my last day, and it was a wonderful feeling. I received top marks for my time there, and a glowing recommendation from my co-operating teacher. I'm very happy all that work is over, but I miss being in the classroom. While it's nice not to be doing so much work: lesson planning, grading and research, I miss the interaction. I look forward to doing it again someday... for money!

There was a completion ceremony at UB for all the student teachers who completed the program for initial certification (pending completion of state exams, of course). I was very proud to go and receive my certificate in front of my professors and colleagues. I just wish I had had family there to share it with. At one point in the ceremony, the family of the student teachers were asked to stand, and there was no one in the audience standing for me. My professors wanted to meet my parents, but they were out of town for the event. I was able to meet some of my gay colleagues partners... again, I felt a bit lonely and out of the loop.

Anyway, I'm thrilled it's over... and I have already begun looking back and saying "I don't know how I did it!"

No comments: