Thursday, June 14, 2007

Glow little glow worm...

There are so few things in this world as enjoyable as sitting on the back patio in my rocking chair, listening to good music and watching the last rays of sunlight give way to the blanket of night. As I sat there, I noticed something out the corner of my eye on the brick walkway near the fountain. I didn't have my glasses on, and from what I could make out, it looked life a leaf.. until it began to hop, and I knew it was a small toad... making it's way across the yard.

It was so nice and peaceful out there on the patio, with a warm summer breeze, the light of a distant street lamp, and the soft white glow of the solar lite in my small garden. As I rocked in my chair glancing around at the stillness of the new nightfall, I noticed the unmistakable glimmer of a firefly.... the first one I had seen this season. Instantly I was transported back in time to days of playing hide and seek while at the family reunion with my brother and cousins.... catching fireflies in transparent plastic cups in the lot across the street from Pat and Danny's house, the home my Grandma grew up in. Indeed life was simpler back then, but small moments like tonight reminded me of the awesomeness that can be had in there here and now. The beauty that is the world around us.

Here are the lyrics of the song I happened to be listening to... one of my favorite songs of all times!!

Dimming of the Day - Richard & Linda Thompson

This old house is falling down around my ears
I'm drowning in a river of my tears
When all my will is gone you hold me sway
I need you at the dimming of the day

You pull me like the moon pulls on the tide
You know just where I keep my better side

What days have come to keep us far apart
A broken promise or a broken heart
Now all the bonnie birds have wheeled away
I need you at the dimming of the day

Come the night you're only what I want
Come the night you could be my confident

I see you on the street in company
Why don't you come and ease your mind with me
I'm living for the night we steal away
I need you at the dimming of the day
I need you at the dimming of the day

No comments: