Saturday, March 8, 2008

Saying Goodbye


Wednesday was my last day at my the school I have been working in for the past eight weeks. It was very hard for me to say goodbye to all my students, and to the faculty and staff that have been wonderful friends and colleagues to me during my stay there.

The students brought food and threw a party for me in each of my classes. They passed around cards and signed them... which meant a lot to me. We took class photos, and enjoyed our last day together. I have to admit, I did tear up a bit. My 11th graders even invited me back to help them review for their regents exam in June.

The teachers bought bagels for the office in my honor, and my co-operating teacher gave me a beautiful picture book on the wonders of the world, with a kind inscription from her on the back cover. Another teacher with whom I become good friends with gave me a mug for teachers with a nice inspirational quote on it.

While it was very difficult in the beginning.. I will miss working there very much. It was a real family environment, one I adapted to quickly. I ended up staying in the school until a little after 5pm correcting papers from a project I had assigned. I didn't want to leave it for my cooperating teacher to deal with. As I left and turned out the lights to "my" classroom, I took one last look around the room in which I had my first REAL teaching experience. I shook my head and closed the door.... It's not easy, and I don't know what the future holds in terms of employment, but I know in my heart, this is what I was meant to do.

No comments: