Tuesday, January 29, 2008

Rough Road

Student teaching is kicking my ass. It is some what comforting to know that I am not the only one who is running ragged, staying up late working on lesson plans, and going crazy trying to keep up with the work. It's hard enough being the new guy, and harder when you are being watched by the professionals, and looked at as less than a professional by the students. To say that I am worn out would be a gross understatement.

I found out where my second placement will be, but for the sake of privacy and security reasons, I will not post the name of the district. Unfortunately my next placement is also in the High School setting... which really pisses me off. Because I am currently teaching Global I (9th grade) in addition to US History (11th grade), that counts as a "middle school" placement. So, I will now be teaching Honors US History, and Participation in Government. I SUCK at Government and Politics (I admit I am utterly useless in Social Studies after grade 11), so I will have yet another placement where I am teaching one class in which I have to teach myself the material before I can teach it to the kids. At least I will have SOME prior knowledge. If I was stuck with Economics.. I'd stroke.

As I said, I'm pissed I will be at a high school again. This means I will not have practical experience teaching in a middle school setting. For some reason, I really feel drawn to middle school, and feel that might be where I am meant to be. Maybe... maybe not. I was hoping student teaching would shed light on it. It's not that I think it is easier.. it's not.. especially from the stories I hear from other teachers. When I always imagined being a teacher, it was in middle school, where I was most happy. Oh well.

My parents have been a huge help and source of support during this busy and crazy time. There are nights I want to break down and cry because I am so overwhelmed. I come home, legs hurting and feeling as if they will buckle, and my head feeling like it is going to explode. They have been so wonderful, and so supportive... I am immensely thankful for having them here. In fact, for the first time in YEARS... as I was on my way out the door this morning to leave for school, I told my father I loved him.

No comments: