Tuesday, May 3, 2011

Achy Breaky Heart

I had a very creepy start to the day.  There I was, minding my own business with my ass in a chair, waiting for the water in the kettle to boil so I could have a jumbo cup of tea before work.  Out of no where, it felt as if someone was squeezing my heart... a pain that radiated to my back.

I am no stranger to back pain.. having had bad flair-ups of "sciatica" (a term I feel doctors use when they have no idea the exact problem with your lower back).  This was similar, only it now involved my heart.

"Am I having a heart attack or did I simply pull something??" -- I made my way to the phone and called my Dad.  I knew he was probably out on his walk, but figured I could get his opinion over the phone.  He at least has had some emergency response training and has also lived through a heart attack.  No answer.  Ugh.. so much for the convenience of cell phones!

The tightening in my chest was so bad I couldn't make the stairs on my own.  I grabbed a near by walking stick (aka my pimp cane) to help me up the stairs.  I don't know how I made it to the top, but I did.  I stood there, leaning on my walking stick, unable to move.  In the loudest voice I could muster, I got my Mom's attention and managed to sit in a chair.

It was a scary feeling to say the least.  The pain is one thing, but the thought of a heart attack is quite another.  Mom wanted to call the ambulance.. I said no.  I hadn't even showered yet.  I wasn't going any where!  There was no pain in my jaw or in my arm -- I took two aspirin to be on the safe side.

Still not being able to get a hold of Dad, Mom made me promise to stay put while she took a quick shower in case I did decide to go to the hospital.  Never being one to follow sound advice, I seriously debated making my way back downstairs to shower and get dressed while Mom wasn't around.  If I wasn't going to the hospital, I had to leave for work in a half hour!  Decisions - decisions.

Just as I thought the pain was going away, it flared up again and I decided not to risk moving.  After about 20 minutes the pain subsided enough that I could shower and get ready for work.

I am now convinced it was all just some sort of muscle spasm caused from the exercising I have been doing lately.  I felt fine all through work, just have a slight soreness in my chest.. like if you've ever had a bruise after hitting something -- not painful per say.. but enough to remind you it's there.

After all this drama, I was only 5 minutes late to work.  I rock!