Wednesday, September 3, 2008

September

I'm so happy that September is finally here. This means that the final days of summer are coming to an end, and Fall is just around the corner. For those of you not from around here, fall in WNY usually means two weeks of awesome cool-crisp weather before the snow comes.

Already signs of the impending change in seasons are being seen. The stores have their Halloween decorations and accessories out on display, which no longer seems to far away to be overly rushing the season. I would argue against buying candy with the intent of saving it for Trick-or-Treaters, I doubt any of us have that kind of will power.

I for one am looking forward to swapping the dreaded shorts for a jacket, and the straw hat for the felt ones. Being able to walk outdoors and not melt into a puddle of sweat is a great feeling!

Even tonight, as I settle down to do some reading for class, I am reminded of the gradual season change as it gets darker sooner, and the lamps get switched on earlier. Even as I struck a match to light a candle in my sitting room, the smell of the match reminded me of the excitement of fall.

I have always believed that one of the many charms of living in the Buffalo area is our seasons. By the time I have grown tired of one, it is time for another to begin.

No comments: