Friday, July 18, 2008

Leaving Buffalo?

As I register for grad classes for the Fall semester, it seems very unlikely that I will have a teaching job by September. Actually, in terms of getting the masters done, this could be a good thing. I'll be able to make a big dent in the courses I still need to take to finish my degree. I am scared however.

With each passing day, I am becoming more and more aware of the good possibility that I will have to leave the state to find employment. That scares the hell out of me. I love the Buffalo area, and have so many family and friends here. I do not like the notion of having to up and move by myself to a place I know nothing about.

My grandparents on both sides had to leave their families and move to Buffalo where the jobs were. It was hard on them, but they at least had each other. They came to a new place TOGETHER to start a new life. Some family also came with them which lessened the homesickness somewhat. It would be easier if I had a spouse, and was considering moving with him, but to have to go by myself... that's scary.

Hopefully things will change, and I'll be one of the lucky few who can find a job. I have my degree to focus on, but the job is always on the back of my mind... nagging me... scaring me... reminding me that without it, the degree is for nothing.

Things need to change in Buffalo before it becomes a ghost town.

No comments: