Tuesday, July 22, 2008

In Memoriam


Today, actress Estelle Getty, best known for her role as "Sophia" on The Golden Girls died at the age of 84. According to family, she died of complication of dementia, which she has been suffering from for many years.

Ms. Getty also played the role of a Jewish mother, struggling with her son's homosexuality in Harvey Firestein's play, Torch Song Trilogy. The movie form, which did not star Getty in the role, is one of my favorite films of all time. I wish I would have had the chance to see Ms. Getty play the powerful role. Ms. Getty was a strong and outspoken supporter of gay rights, and did much to raise money for AIDS treatment and awareness.

I grew up watching The Golden Girls, and when I catch it on television, it brings back such wonderful memories. I can recite the lines verbatim, and yet I never tire of watching the show. I admired Sophia's outspokenness and strength of character. She feared no one, and had a simple down to earth wisdom, which reminded me so much of my own Grandmothers. We all know someone in our lives who is like Sophia... feisty and crass, yet filled with charm and whit.

Eternal Rest grant unto her O Lord, and may perpetual light shine upon her. May she rest in peace. Amen.

No comments: