Thursday, August 5, 2010

Tempus Fugit!

Time does indeed fly.  I can't believe it's August already!!  Soon, my favorite season of the year will be here... FALL!!  Crisp air, hay rides, apple cider, pumpkins, Halloween.... all right around the corner.

For those that haven't yet heard, I did indeed interview for a year long term teaching position at the middle school I have been subbing at over the past school year.  I thought the interview went very well.. I was comfortable, my answers were all well thought out.  I did not make it to a second interview however.  It was none-the-less a learning experience.. I can now be a little more comfortable and prepared for any other future interviews -- but I am disappointed.  This position was the only real hope I had at getting a job away from retail in the near future.. my only real hope of moving forward with my life... and in a school environment I loved and had made friends in.  I just keep telling myself it was not my time.  Patience was always a virtue I lacked!

I've been picking up more hours at the retail hell I've been employed at for the past 9 1/2 years.  Slowly, I've been paying money towards bills that I have accumulated... looking forward to operating in the black for a change, and starting to pay off my massive amounts of student loans.  The idea of having a savings account again is a nice thought.

Since the likely hood of finding a full time teaching position for the fall is slim, I debated doing the retail gig full time.  Even working over 30 hours a week (not that I would be guaranteed that many hours), I'd still be making under $20,000 a year.  That wouldn't help me much in my goal to get an apartment of my own.  Sigh....

Anyway... I just figured it was time for me to update this blog and let people in cyberspace know I am still alive.  I'm still puttering around, searching for a new career, eagerly awaiting the results of my masters portfolio project so I can say I am done with grad school.  Though I have been frustrated with the current job situation, my heart is gladdened by the many family and friends in my life who let me know daily that I am loved.  Sometimes we need to look at what we do have, instead of what we don't have.  A lesson I am trying hard to learn.

No comments: