Friday, December 2, 2011

Better to have loved and lost?

I know a few people who are going through some rough break ups right now.  I can see the pain they carry with them as they mourn the passing of this type of relationship in their lives.  I wish I had some pearls of wisdom to share with them to ease their heartache - but my heartache is caused by never experiencing a relationship at all.

Every Christmas I find myself wanting one thing only: someone to share my life with.  I used to jokingly tell people I'd written to Santa and asked for world peace and a boyfriend.  Neither ever came true.

Holidays are tough for me, I'll be honest.  Each day of the year I feel the loneliness - especially at the end of the day when it's just me... but holidays are the worst.

I've never experienced buying Christmas presents for someone I love (in that way) - or snuggling up together looking at the tree lights.  So many moments, feelings and metaphors expressed in Christmas songs are only known to me through characters in movies.

It's the worst time of year to lose someone you love - it's harder still for those of us who never have loved.