Monday, May 18, 2009

Alive and Kickin'

OH yes, I am still alive and out here. Subbing has kept me busy, and while it does take its toll on me, I can't help but be thankful for the extra income... especially in this economy.

Subbing has been an interesting experience to say the least. There are days I love working with the kids I'm with, and feel great about the career I have chosen, and then there are other days I want to run away screaming, and never look back. I will say, it has been great practice in classroom management, allowing me to see what works and what doesn't, as well as learning how to adjust my approach and personality to best suit the classroom environment I'm in. It is definitely not something I want to do forever, but it has been and continues to be a learning experience.

The job search has not turned up much in terms of finding a perminent position here in the WNY area. We are flooded with new teachers, and lacking in retirees. Even when the occasional teacher does retire, they may not be replaced due to budget cuts statewide.

I have seen a glimmer of hope however.... a teacher's assistant here in the district I sub in has told me about an online teacher recruitment site for New York State (excluding WNY which already uses a similar program). There were some jobs posted for areas like Syracuse and Albany, leading me to believe that while I may have to leave WNY, I may still be able to stay in the state, making the commute home for holidays much easier than if I were states away. One never knows what the future will hold... and I do have another year of grad school to complete before it is time to start applying out of the area. Any hope however is a welcomed change.

Yesterday was Collin's Christening, which was done in the Lutheran Church where Katie grew up and went to school. I must admit that I was very uncomfortable with the whole idea. I struggle with the fact that the faith passed onto us from our family is dwindling faster and faster, and was hoping that some of that faith which was instilled in Joe through our time in Catholic school would have grown stronger as it became time for him to raise a child of his own. While I celebrate the baby having been initiated and baptized into a Christian community, I lament the fact it is a denomination, which, like the other Protestant groups, came into existence because of their staunch opposition to Catholicisim.

Joe makes me laugh in his approach to faith and religion. He is obsessed with family traditions and upholding them, even creating his own quirky traditions he observes every year. The rich traditions of Catholicism he tends to reject, mostly out of ignorance of what they mean, and laziness to do his research to find out what they are about and where they come from.

Despite my parents and I being a bit uncomfortable, we had a great time at the Christening dinner that evening, and shared a great meal with Katie's family, and some friends of Joe. Collin is such a joy for all of us, and we have all taken to our roles as uncles and aunt. :)

No comments: